Friday, November 1, 2013

Paws in the Park

My cousin asked me to shoot some photos this week for a project she was working on, and I was happy to oblige. She brought along Izzy, her retriever mix, and Charlie, her chocolate lab, to be models with her. 

My favorite subjects to shoot are dogs: they don't have a 'bad side' and as long as you keep them entertained with treats, activities and funny voices, they are up for almost anything. The downside is they can get easily distracted, which in this case, was a challenge. Ducks in the lake, kids playing, bikers etc all while I am trying to find the right settings and capture their attention. But there were still some great shots with at least one dog looking at the camera! *Note to self: always bring treats when there will be dogs!

In post production, I worked with Portrait Professional and Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 to smooth out skin, enhance features, clone out leashes and park signs, brighten colors and fix some lighting and a couple other effects. 

These photos were shot with my Canon Rebel T4i, Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens at Freestone Park in Gilbert, AZ.

 
140mm / ISO 200 / f5.6 / shutter speed 1/20


18mm / ISO 200 / f4 / shutter speed 1/250


60mm / ISO 200 / f5 / shutter speed 1/30


 70mm / ISO 200 / f5 / shutter speed 1/50

 20mm / ISO 200 / f3.5 / shutter speed 1/125

Overall I am pretty happy with how things turned out. Next time, I would bring treats to capture and keep the attention of the dogs, and I think I could have been better prepared with poses, props and more ideas to vary the shots. When I was on site, it took all my focus to do what I was doing, so spending some time to strategize before hand would have been beneficial.

JAK

No comments:

Post a Comment